Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ukrainian Independence Day


On 24th August 1991, the declaration of independence for Ukraine was adopted by parliament establishing Ukraine as an independent, democratic state. This day is now celebrated as the day of independence in Ukraine. It was interesting for me to experience this in another country. In many ways it was similar to our independence day: many flags displayed, people wearing clothes to support their country, in America red, white, and blue, in Ukraine Вишиванка which are cultural embroidered shirts unique to Ukraine and handmade, even I was wearing one as the guy I am living with had an extra one. Also, just like in America, they had many concerts and then fireworks later in the evening. L'viv, where I am living, is like the cultural center of Ukraine, so there are always many interesting things going on. I know for this day there were at least 6 concerts spread out in different places in the city. I went to one of these concerts with some friends I met at camp. There were popular ukrainian rock bands, singers, and even some dancers. It was pretty cool. There were Ukrainian flags everywhere and they kept passing out blue and yellow balloons to everyone. Some very nationalistic Ukrainians might even say the true capital of Ukraine is here in L'viv because all the regions surrounding here speak Ukrainian and are usually pro-Ukraine politically. All the regions near Kiev, the actual capital of Ukraine, and to the east are usually more pro-Russia and they speak Russian as well, so being here I did get a feel for some of the political turmoil or tension Ukrainians have had to face, and continue to face. Even at the concerts they showed the President's speech from Kiev and many in the crowd were "booing" him because the new President is pro-Russian. It was just very interesting for me. I could just feel this tension or really just the deep pride of the people here in L'viv for their country which has now been free for 19 years. They are really very proud of that, and for many in the newer generation, most of the student population for example, it is all they have ever known. It was definitely a unique opportunity for me and I learned a lot about this country and the people's love for it. It truly was a great day. I just pray that God would bless this country and continue to put people in charge who have Ukraine's best interests in mind, and that the people would support their leaders even if they don't care too much for all their views. And above all that the people would be receptive to God's word and the truth of His Son. For these things I would ask that you also pray! Thank you so much for all you have done for me. For your prayers and continued support. Well, I’m off to enjoy the nice weather here on August 31, the last day of summer for the kids, with a high of 14(57F) and low of 3(37F), and rain all day. It will be great! Talk to you later. Miss and love you all! God Bless!- Joey Kader

3 comments:

  1. There truly is no better way to learn a culture than to be completely saturated in it. I am so proud of you (and a little jealous). Keep up the good work and I will talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better get used to that cold weather. It's going to get a LOT colder! :-) Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em coming! Your family and friends back home are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, brother Jojo. I just read all your updates, they are so precious. I pray for you and miss you always! Stay strong and win all those Ukrainians for Christ, even the one's who are pro-russia... :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete