Friday, February 7, 2014

Update on the Situation in Ukraine

Protests are still going strong here in the capital city of Kiev. There are still many reports on a daily basis, some of them alarming and some of them just plain sad, but hard to know which side is telling the truth. Some reports by the police make the anti-goverment groups to appear as right-wing fanatics setting off bombs and such and murdering people, however the reports from normal people are that things aren't happening like the police say. Anyways, it's still very tense and still unclear how things will turn out here.
One positive step was that the anti-protest laws that I mentioned in a previous post were overturned so that is a good thing. Another area of debate at the moment is amnesty for the protesters who have been arrested. The president signed a bill saying they would be granted amnesty if all the protesters leave the government buildings they are occupying but they are unwilling to do that and don't trust the government to keep its word. I will continue to watch how things will unfold here, and pass it along to you all as best I can. Please keep praying for the people here and the situation in Ukraine as it is still very unstable. As for me like I said don't worry, I am in L'viv not Kiev, and it is still calm where I am living. Just mostly life as usual here, which included two very cold weeks at almost -20 C most of the time. Now things a are a bit warmer and the snow is melting so I'm just dodging falling ice and snow (not really but still should be careful). I am busy helping where I can with some ministries and with English and possibly helping the Trinity church I am currently working with a church-plant in a different area of the city. More to come on that later when I can explain it in more detail. Thanks everyone for your interest in Ukraine, and in the work we are doing here. Encouraging to have many people say that they read the blog and are glad to hear I am doing ok. Thanks for your continued prayers and support. More updates to come! God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment